Thursday, February 9, 2012

Ab Fab!



No people, this is not about the hilarious series we see every week on LOGO after RuPaul's Drag Race. I'm talkin' about mah ab muscles! Er, rather, the ab muscles I'm trying to create.

One thing I neglected in my marathon training last time was my core. (Side Note: Every time you read the word 'core', please picture me saying it like a professional wrestler: "HARD COOOOORE, BROTHER" You could probably make this into a drinking game.) I was reading an article from Runner's World called: The Core of the Matter and it stresses that a strengthened core is something that is vital to improve running times and also prevents injuries. Well, I'm all about improving my running time and avoiding injuries, so I'm paying attention to my tummy this time.

My goal for the summer is to have at least one visible ab. I've literally never had any definition in my stomach, so I figure now is the best time to jump on that.

"But Lindsay, how do you find the motivation to strengthen your abs? And how do you know you're doing it correctly?"

Good question, home reader! Luckily, my sweet gym, BOOM Fitness, offers ab classes three times a week. Here, I am able to truly get the most out of the free classes that are offered to me and have an instructor to yell at me like Gillian Michaels if my form is incorrect or I'm just being lazy. Also, the classes go so quickly. I don't know how that happens, but I've survived every class I've gone to and that's kind of a big deal for me because, like I said, abs really aren't my thing.

I have really gotten into group fitness classes lately and I think it's because of the solidarity thing. I've looked around at the other brave souls in my classes, and they are struggling just as much as I am. I don't mean that in a degrading way- I mean it in a positive way. It gives me the inspiration to finish and I would hope that them seeing me struggle inspires them too. If I see other people sucking it up, then I can too. Granted, I walk like a I'm tipsy and it hurts to laugh for days afterwards, but yeah, it's worth it.

So, who's ready to get hard 'core' abs with me? (Sorry, I had to.)

Let's do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment