Sunday, August 5, 2012

Ah, To Be An Olympian


Well, people. We are currently approaching the end of Week 1 of the World's collective favorite event ever: The Olympics! 


I have to say, I really love the Olympics because I see all of these athletes flaunting their fantastic bodies, killing it at their chosen sport, and it kind of inspires me to work that much harder. Now, have I actually been working harder in training or making an attempt to live a healthy lifestyle? 


No. 


But, I have made a decision today (after a weekend down the shore of stuffing my face with cheese balls and consuming several alcoholic beverages) to really up my own personal game and start treating my body better. 


What does this entail? 


Well, for starters, I will not be eating any more cheese balls. But in all seriousness, I will be really taking a look at what I'm eating and how much of it I am eating. I'm even considering going off of coffee and switching to tea, but uh, we will see how that goes. 


I will be exercising, running or otherwise, at least 5 times a week regardless of what social engagements I have planned. No more excuses, I'm going to figure out a way to exercise and be socially awesome, all at the same time. 


Finally, and I'm hoping that this will come a little easier with the exercising and healthy eating, I will be positive about myself and my life. To be honest, I have found myself in a little bit of a rut lately and have not been proud of who I am. While this endeavor will be a physical life change, I am also going to make an effort to change emotionally. 


I attended my first yoga class ever this past Thursday (which just so happened to be with 600 of my closest friends at Yoga in Bryant Park- check it out, it's every Thursday at 6pm through September 27th) and the instructor kept saying that there is one mantra for yoga. 


No, it's not 'Om' - it's 'Love Your Life'


The instructor repeated this a few times throughout the class, and it really seemed like he did love his life. He kept saying how thankful he was to be in this moment and how incredible it was to be sharing in this experience with everyone. I realized how caught up I get in the stressful lifestyle I'm living and find myself only focusing on the negatives in my life. I also realized how much I take for granted every day and how that needs to stop. Starting now. 


So friends, if you are so inclined, I would love to have you also make the change in your lives so we can go through this together. It might be fun, and hey! we might even lose a few pounds or gain an ab muscle or something. We will be some good looking (even better than we are now, if that's possible), positive people. 


I will attempt to keep you posted on my progress every week, but we all know how not-so-great I am at updating this so, let's just roll with it. 


Have a great week out there! And if you can spare a wee bit of your paycheck, I would appreciate if you can donate to my marathon fund for the American Cancer Society. It's easy and fun! Click HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment